Today I finally assembled my HTPC. There were some stock issues with the case I ordered, so after a week I ordered another. Although the motherboard is passively cooled I decided to enable one of the two case fans. Unfortunately the fans are very noisy when directly connected to the motherboard, so I placed a simple Zalman fancontroller between the fan and motherboard.
After building the HTPC I first installed Ubuntu 10.10 using a USB stick. Then I used this guide to install XBMC.
Continue reading Building a Home Theater PC part 2
Last year I build a home server based on the Intel Atom platform. In my second post I mentioned building an HTPC with the same components, but I wasn’t really sure the current Atom processors and Nvidia ION platform could handle video decoding with a full HD resolution. Since a few weeks I’m looking for information how to build an HTPC running XBMC based on the latest Atom processors with Nvidia ION 2. I found this blog and I think I will use more or less the same parts because it’s a very good price/value solution.
Continue reading Building a Home Theater PC part 1
In one of my .NET projects I’m using the NHibernate library for object-relational mapping. I’m mainly using the ICriteria interface to fetch data from the database. Unfortunately I ran into a function that got really complicated; how to query a many-to-many relationship. For example, I have a table containing posts and a table containing tags. The post datamodel contains a set with tags so in my mapping it’s a many-to-many relationship. I want my query to return all posts tagged with one or more specific tags. On this forum I found a solution. I’m not sure if this is the perfect solution, so feel free to suggest a better one.
Continue reading Possible solution for NHibernate many-to-many criteria
I’m currently developing a web application in ASP.NET MVC and NHibernate. Since the application was very slow at some points I wanted to know which SQL queries NHibernate was executing. Since the log4net library was already included in the application I searched for a solution to output the SQL queries to the console in Visual Studio 2010 using log4net. I found the solution on this wiki and this blog post.
Continue reading Using log4net to show NHibernate SQL in Visual Studio
Last week I helped Bas verifying his MIDI layout of the Reloop Digital Jockey 2 interface and controller edition. I used a program for Windows called MIDI-OX, a diagnostic tool for the MIDI protocol, to do this. In order to lookup the MIDI information sent by your MIDI controller turn on your device, start MIDI-OX and go to Options > MIDI Devices.
Continue reading How to lookup MIDI notes of your MIDI controller
In this video on YouTube you can see the LED of the Load A and Load B button blink on the Beat Phase Monitor of Traktor. In this post I’ll describe how to add this functionality to your Reloop Digital Jockey 2 mapping in Traktor.
Continue reading Map Traktor’s Beat Phase Monitor to your Reloop Digital Jockey 2
A few days ago I was trying a demo version of Traktor Pro. When playing some tracks I discovered the ID3 tags were missing when viewing the files in Windows Explorer. According to this topic Traktor changes the ID3 tags from version 2.3 to version 2.4 which can’t be read by Windows 7, so it’s not really a bug but rather annoying. In this post I’ll describe how to run Traktor as a different user in Windows 7 so it has no permissions to modify files any more. This solution is mentioned in this topic.
Continue reading How to stop Traktor from editing ID3 tags
Recently I started writing a simple paper in LaTeX. Since I was only used to editors like Word and OpenOffice writing in LaTeX was completely different. In this post I’ll describe how to get started with LaTeX and BibTeX in a simple and free LaTeX editor for Windows called LEd. First of all, download LEd here and install it on your system. Make sure you install MiKTeX, a Windows implementation of Tex, as well if you not already have it.
Continue reading Getting started with LaTeX and BibTeX in LEd
Today I updated my HTC Desire to Android 2.2. The update was successful but I noticed one problem; my mobile internet didn’t connect any more. I found out that I had to add (or delete and add new) APN carrier settings in: Settings â†’ Wireless & networks â†’ Mobile networksÂ â†’ Access Point Names.
For a list of settings of Dutch and Belgium mobile network operators see this page.
I took the following panoramas during my holiday on Madeira with my Canon 50D and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens. All the images are made out of two or more pictures and I used AutoPano to stitch the pictures.
CÃ¢mara de Lobos
Continue reading Panoramas of Madeira